WASHINGTON – Former Trump campaign communications adviser Michael Caputo said he did not speak with any Russian officials nor is he aware of any member of the Trump campaign having done so.
“I had no contact with Russians. I never heard of anyone in the Trump campaign talking with Russians,” Caputo said Friday evening at an informal news conference accompanied by his attorney, following three hours of closed-door testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.
Caputo, 55, resigned from the Trump campaign last summer amid a dispute with then-campaign manager Corey Lewandowski.
Caputo runs a public relations firm. He previously lived in Moscow and did media advocacy on behalf of then-Russian president Boris Yeltsin. Caputo also briefly performed public relations services for Gazprom-Media holding – a subsidiary of the Russian state-owned natural gas company.
Gazprom-Media is believed to be under the control of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Caputo said that he testified voluntarily to “set the record straight,” and that he believes he has done so.
Caputo’s attorney, former New York state attorney general Dennis Vacco, said he has spoken with the legal counsel for the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence on behalf of his client pursuant to document requests – but that there are not yet any plans for Caputo to testify.
Both the House and Senate Intelligence committees are investigating Russia’s attempt to manipulate the outcome of the 2016 U.S. presidential election as well as allegations of collusion between members of the Trump campaign and high-ranking Russian officials.
Caputo said he has not been contacted by either the FBI or Independent Counsel Robert Mueller but is willing to cooperate should they do so.
“I’m happy to participate in any investigation,” Caputo said.