McCain and Graham blast President Trump’s immigration order

McCain and Graham blast President Trump’s immigration order

Published
Protesters at Dulles International Airport on Jan. 29, 2017 after Trump's Travel Ban from 7 predominantly Muslim Countries. (Photo by Doug Christian)
Protesters at Dulles International Airport on Jan. 29, 2017 after Trump's Travel Ban from 7 predominantly Muslim Countries. (Photo by Doug Christian)

WASHINGTON – GOP Senators John McCain (Ariz.) and Lindsey Graham (S.C.) said President Donald Trump’s executive order prohibiting U.S. entry to citizens from seven predominantly Muslim countries was poorly planned.

“It is clear from the confusion at our airports across the nation that President Trump’s executive order was not properly vetted,” McCain and Graham said in a joint statement issued on Sunday.

“We are particularly concerned by reports that this order went into effect with little to no consultation with the Departments of State, Defense, Justice, and Homeland Security.”

On Friday afternoon Trump issued an executive order that denies U.S. entry to persons from Iran, Iraq, Somalia, Yemen, Syria, Sudan, and Libya for a period of three months. The order also prohibits refugee resettlement for a period of four months.

The executive order led to considerable havoc at many airports in the U.S. and abroad throughout the weekend as many traveling non-citizen U.S. nationals were either denied re-entry to the U.S. or detained by immigration authorities upon arrival.

On Saturday New York federal judge Ann Donnelly temporarily nullified a provision of the executive order that would have authorized immigration authorities to deport those who entered the U.S. with approved visas as well as those who had been designated refugees.

Federal judges throughout the nation have temporarily nullified other provisions contained in the executive order.

Immigration advocates and civil liberties groups have responded with outrage to the executive order and more legal challenges are expected.

On Sunday massive protests took place in front of the White House as well as many of the nation’s largest airports.

President Trump told reporters gathered inside the Oval Office on Saturday that the executive order is not discriminatory in nature and is being executed with the utmost efficiency.

“It’s not a Muslim ban. We were totally prepared,” Trump said.

“It’s working out very nicely. You see it at the airports. You see it all over. It’s working out very nicely and we’re going to have a very, very strict ban, and we’re going to have extreme vetting, which we should have had in this country for many years.”

McCain and Graham said in their statement that the executive order might help terrorist organizations recruit new members.

“This executive order sends a signal, intended or not, that America does not want Muslims coming into our country. That is why we fear this executive order may do more to help terrorist recruitment than improve our security,” the senators said.

Shortly after McCain and Graham issued their joint statement, President Trump blasted the senators in a series of Tweets.

  • Subscribe to Talk Media News


  • NO COMMENTS

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.