WASHINGTON – Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) blasted the Trump administration’s FY 2019 budget proposal.
“It is utterly astounding that just six weeks after slashing taxes on the wealthy and biggest corporations, creating a huge deficit, the president asks older Americans and middle-class Americans to make up the difference by slashing Medicare and Medicaid,” Schumer said in a statement on Monday. “While corporations reap billions in tax giveaways, older Americans who at least knew if they got sick when they got older they’d be taken care of, now have to worry. Many others, including children and working families, would be hurt by this budget as well.”
The $4.4 trillion-dollar budget requests $716 billion for defense spending and $540 billion for non-defense spending. It compliments a bipartisan budget bill Congress approved last week that increases both defense and domestic spending by $300 billion over the next two years.
The budget requests $18 billion to begin construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. It requests $200 billion in infrastructure spending as a means of facilitating public-private partnerships, with the goal of raising $1.5 trillion.
The budget seeks to reduce the deficit by $3 trillion over the next 10 years in part by cutting funding for several executive agencies and reducing investment in entitlement programs.
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) praised the budget proposal.
“This budget lays out a thoughtful, detailed, and responsible blueprint for achieving our shared agenda,” Ryan said in a statement on Monday. “It builds on last week’s budget agreement by focusing on rebuilding our national defense and promoting a stronger economy. It seeks to further improve services for our veterans, and expand access to resources for fighting the opioid epidemic. And it reflects the historic tax reform law that is already improving the lives of American families.”
House and Senate committees this week are scheduled to hear testimony on the proposal.