CAPITOL HILL – On Wednesday, 7 House members designated by the Speaker to be impeachment managers, along with House Clerk Cheryl Johnson and House Sergeant at Arms Paul Irving performed the ritual of delivering Articles of Impeachment Against Donald John Trump from the House to the Senate. This is only the third time in the nation’s history that articles of impeachment have been delivered against a president.
After House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) signed the 1,416-word document in in the Rayburn Room off the House Chamber in a procedure known as an Engrossment Ceremony, Ms. Johnson and Mr. Irving, followed by the seven impeachment managers, marched the articles to the Senate Chamber in a parade known as the “impeachment walk”.
House Clerk Johnson announced the delivery:
(AUDIO: the delivery, the “impeachment trial of Donald John Trump.”)
The Senate President Pro Tempore Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) simply replied:
(Audio: “The message will be received.”)
Doug Christian, Capitol Hill
- House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.)
- House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.)
- Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.)
- Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.)
- Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.)
- Rep. Jason Crow (D-Colo.)
- Rep. Sylvia Garcia (D-Texas)