WASHINGTON – The man accused of killing two engaged doctors in their Boston penthouse pleaded not guilty to each of two counts of murder, in a bedside arraignment in his hospital room on Monday afternoon.
It has emerged that Bampumim Teixeira, 30, used to work at a security guard at the luxury South Boston complex where Dr. Richard Field, 49, and Dr. Lina Bolanos, 38, were slain on Friday evening.
Police have said that the suspect was known to the victims, who were both anesthesiologists. Field also worked as a pain specialist. It is unclear if the couple had any relationship with him beyond that entailing his previous job at the building.
The complex has tight security, with a 24-hour concierge at the door. A key is required for the elevator to reach their home on the 11th floor.
Suffolk Country Assistant District Attorney John Pappas said during the arraignment in Teixeira’s private room at Tufts Medical Center in Boston that he somehow gained access to the couple’s $1.9 million apartment.
Although police previously said the both victims’ throats were slit, Pappas said only that the couple “were bound and both were deceased, having sustained obvious trauma.”
The prosector said police received a call Friday night from the building’s front desk describing a call from a friend of Field’s. The doctor had apparently texted his friend and told the friend to summon help. The friend made a second call directly to 911, Pappas said.
Responding officers found found a set of keys on the floor outside the apartment, which they used to gain access after no one came to the door, he said.
Once inside the dark apartment, police were fired upon by Teixeira, Pappas said. They returned fire, he said, shooting Teixeira in the hand, abdomen and leg. No officers were shot, although several were treated for minor injuries, police said.
Police found a knapsack filled with jewelry by the front door of the apartment, the prosecutor said. They also found cut-up photos of the couple, and a “message of retribution” written on a wall.
Judge Michael Bolden complied with Assistant Suffolk District Attorney John Pappas’ request that Teixeira be held without bail. Pappas noted that Teixeira is on probation for a bank robbery sentence. Last month he concluded a nine-month sentence for robbing the same downtown Boston bank twice: in 2014 and 2016.
Teixeira’s court-appointed defense attorney Steve Sack did not argue for bail.
Teixeira reportedly kept his eyes closed throughout the proceeding but nodded at the end and said, “Thank you.”
He is scheduled to appear in Boston Municipal Court June 8 for a probable-cause hearing. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.