The Syrian military declared a week long ceasefire over Monday, but the U.S. said the truce could only be called off by the U.S. and Russia since they are the entities that negotiated it.
WASHINGTON (Talk Media News) – The Syrian military declared a week-long ceasefire over Monday and said that it would resume fighting, though the U.S. said the truce could only be called off by the U.S. and Russia since they are the entities that negotiated it.
The general command of the armed forces blamed rebel groups for folding the ceasefire in a statement carried by Syria’s state-run SANA news agency, saying they had “a real chance to stop the bloodshed.”
U.S. State Department spokesperson John Kirby, acknowledged that the administration had seen the comments from the Syrian military, but that the “arrangement is with Russia, which is responsible for the Syrian regime’s compliance.” Kirby said that the U.S. expects Russia to clarify its position.
He said the U.S. is prepared to extend the cease-fire, “while working to strengthen it and expand deliveries of assistance.”
Both the Syrian rebels, supported by the U.S.-led coalition, and Syrian government troops, backed by Russia, accused each other of violating the ceasefire since it took effect last Monday.
Russia has accused the U.S. of not having sway with the rebels it supports, and the U.S. has pointed to the fact that the Syrian government, whom Russia says it has sway with, has only today allowed aid vehicles to enter besieged areas of the war-torn nation as the agreement outlines.
The agreement was further jeopardized Saturday after the U.S.-led coalition hit Syrian government positions south of Deir al-Zour, killing at least 60 government troops.
The U.S. expressed “regret” for the “unintentional loss of life,” and said that it had been coordinating with Russia but not made aware of the Syrian position. Syrian President Bashar al Assad pointed to the strike as an act of “flagrant aggression.”